Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Let's party like it's 1949!

When Christmas is over it kind of feels a bit sad. After all the preparations, decorations, baking, gift wrapping and so on. And that's why it's so good there's just one week till we can drown the Christmas blues with New Years Eve Champagne! If you have troubles coming up with something fun to do on this last day of the year, here comes a few pictorial tips on how they did it in the 40s and 50s!

1940

Bing Crosby didn't just have a lovely voice - he could party too!!!

1941

It's all about the glasses!

1942

1943

Shorty, the Bowery Cherub, New Years Eve at Sammy's Bar.

1946

1947

This was taken at a celebration in New York...Or rather after a celebration, I guess...

1950

Again a picture from New York. They sure knows how to party in that little town!

1950

1950

This is a picture of private James Binkley. Sadly he was killed in action while fighting the enemy in North Korea on December 1st, 1950. So I guess this was his last New Years kiss...

1950

1950

Oooo! One in color!!!!

1952

Fifteen seconds left!!!

1953

1953

1953

1953

The hat is made by Mr John of New York. It's shaped like a gloved hand, holding a champagne glass. Notice the "bubbles" in the glass!!!

I didn't know what to do for New Years until a few weeks ago. Then I got an invitation to a fabulous party - with fabulous people! This will be a chance to really get dolled up! I have to say I'm a huge sucker for fireworks though, so I'm hoping for a good show in that department. I'm usually the last one standing outside, freezing my butt off, just to see all the pretty lights!








4 comments:

  1. Parties back then seemed like they were certainly a lot of fun in my opinion at least, great photos Miss Meadows. And that New Years party sounds amazingly fabulous, you should take some photos and share how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the images..I hope you have a great New Years!! I don't know what I'll be doing yet, but I'm sure to have fun!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed all the pictures but am partial to those 1953 ones! Such a fabulous year! ;)

    Hope you have a rockin' vintage New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Hyper Smash